Monday 21 May 2012

Day 2

I woke up this morning after a solid 10 hour sleep. The morning was beautiful. It was fairy warm and sunny and I had a nice breakfast with my host Anne as well as her mother, Claire. Their house is on a nice hill in Kingston, just outside of Hobart. Looking out the window there is a lemon tree surrounded by wild roses everywhere. Everything was perfect until the worst thing happened to me….I plugged in my hair straightener and it sizzled and smoked until the red light went out on it! Anyone who knows me well knows that this is my worst nightmare! The voltage converter that I picked up from Canadian Tire prior to leaving failed on me. Oh well, on the flip side Gary got a nice a lesson on hair appliances  while we had to shop for a new one. The sales lady at Cyber Hair got a real kick out of us as Anne took many photos of Gary and I with all the hair products (photos to follow). 

After breakfast Kathryn, Gary and I along with Anne and Kathryn's host Gerry spent the morning at a local newspaper 'Huon News' for a quick tour and photo op for the paper next week. It was very nice to see. Later we ventured an hour south to the Temperate Rain Forest. Some of the Huon Pine trees here are 2500 years old!

For lunch we ate pie at a small cafe and then met up with the Montana GSE team that are also touring here. Surprisingly one of them works as a ski hill equipment supplier that supplies quite a bit of the machinery to Loch Lomand where I ski back home…small world!

I look forward to seeing the rest of the girls tomorrow to hear about their day with host families. Everything is amazing here and everyone is very friendly. The local Rotary clubs have been wonderful with making such a great itinerary for us. Tomorrow morning we do our first presentation to the breakfast club at Salamanica Rotary Club. Wish us well!






  


5 comments:

  1. Heather-in case the need arises-Gary is also quite adept at curling hair. When I broke my arm a few years ago he got a crash course in hair styling:)
    Sounds like an awesome first day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh yes! The international demise of the straightener! I know it well:) I've melted mine in India, Italy AND Japan...but on the upside it takes a half hour off your morning routine!! It's nice that yours was replaced in short order and Gary could perform his first official team leader duty...shopping for hair appliances:)
    Your first adventures in Tasmania sound wonderful! Imagine finding a Loch Lomond connection half way around the globe! Rotary makes the world a small place indeed.
    All the best for success with presentation # One! I know you will do a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I am very happy to read your blog. This is another fantastic blog post what I have read. There are so many tools available that it becomes difficult to know which will work. And how best to use them


    Electro Plating Rectifier

    Pitot

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best blog always serves information regarding products ad services after making confirmation. Perhaps Blogger is highly knowledgeable that is the reason information that I have read here is genuine and helpful.
    http://www.obesitysurgery.ca/lapband/how-lapband-work.php

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the highly attractive, informatics, well-written and highly crisp blog that has been explained in fabulous manner to help out reader and visitors. All information found here is genuine and realistic. http://www.charliesbridal.com

    ReplyDelete